The way businesses talk to people online today is broken. Intercom is fixing it.
Intercom is the first to bring sales, marketing & customer service products to one messaging platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations with the people that matter. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom is the only business messenger to let you talk to consumers just about anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email.
Intercom invented in-app messaging in 2011, and today more than 13,000 businesses use Intercom to reach a billion people around the world. Intercom has 300 employees split between its San Francisco headquarters and its Dublin R&D office, and has raised $116M in venture funding.
What’s the opportunity?
Intercom is growing fast. We’ve created an environment where product teams, with big ambitions, can ship high quality product to our customers every week. Across a team of more than 60 engineers, we ship changes to production around 100 times each weekday. Our mission is to make web and mobile business personal. Come help us build a world changing product, a long lasting company and the most effective R&D team possible.
We’re particularly focused on building an organisation where people thrive, grow in their careers, and enjoy having high impact through their work. We’re looking for experienced engineering managers to help us grow our capabilities and capacity.
The Intercom platform comprises of several different and connected products. Each product is designed and developed — through invention and iteration — by a single team. As an engineering manager you’ll partner with a product manager to define a product vision, strategy and roadmap.
You’ll be expected to own your space: work with all disciplines on your team to build, launch and iterate. Talk directly with your customers, take part in usability studies, work with data analysts and researchers to ask the right questions and make good use of the answers.
This is an incredibly rare opportunity to join a company that’s still small but on its way to something much bigger, with a meaningful transformative mission. You’ll work directly with a product, design, and engineering team who’ve worked in places such as Amazon, Facebook, Google, Apple and Zendesk. And best of all, be early enough to hold a leadership position where you have a high impact role in our success over the coming years.
This role is based in our city centre office on St. Stephen’s Green, in Dublin, Ireland. Our entire R&D team is based here. You’ll report directly to one of our directors of engineering.
What will I be doing?
- Collaboratively set a product and technical direction with your team.
- Support an ambitious group of engineers in their career goals. Work with our people ops team to maintain our high performance and high morale.
- Be actively involved in hiring and growing our engineering team.
- Care about agility as much you care for scalability and availability. Continuous deployment keeps us focused on incremental releases. Even our biggest technical achievements roll out piece by piece, feature flagged out of sight. Projects are kept short and tightly scoped. Teamsbuild a weekly cadence of releases.
- Drive, create and improve operational excellence, quality, security and privacy initiatives within your team and the entire engineering organization.
- Help us evolve our culture.
What skills do I need?
Management experience is a requirement. New managers are grown through our engineering team, so external hires must have hands-on experience of people management. If you want to take your career in a management direction but haven’t had the opportunity yet, we’d strongly encourage you to apply for our product engineering role. Career progression is important to us and if management is the path you’d like to take we can help you get there.
You also need to have deep knowledge of a high-level programming language (for example, Ruby, Python, Perl etc.) but it doesn’t need to be a language that we use here! Great people are effective and learn what we use quickly (or introduce us to better ways of working). Our ideal is for every team to be comfortable working across the full stack, delivering new features and capabilities from start to finish.
- The core Intercom product is a Ruby on Rails application with an Ember.js frontend. We use MySQL and MongoDB for most of our storage, though we’re starting to migrate to other services like Amazon’s DynamoDB.
- We’re actively moving to a service-oriented architecture, with new components built using the most appropriate technology. So far that’s largely been in Java on Dropwizard, and recently using Go.
- Our iOS application and SDK are developed in Objective-C, while our Android application and SDK are Java. The web integration our customers use is built on React. We have API and integration clients for Ruby, Java and PHP with Go and Node.js coming soon (Python and Perl are community supported at the moment).
- Our infrastructure runs entirely within Amazon Web Services and we make use of many of their services (DynamoDB, SQS, etc.) We like to buy the best tools and services where available but will build our own when we need to — we use an in-house continuous deployment service and built our own lightweight project management tooling.
You will need to be hands-on technically, comfortable reviewing and writing code. We don’t need you to be the strongest or most productive engineer on the team but your on-boarding will involve at least a month working as an engineer on one of our products. We believe this is the best way to get context and build trust before directly managing.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! 🙂
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday! There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews – we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need to
- Paid parental leave to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our roaming FlyeFit gyms in Dublin membership!
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too!
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- We also offer generous relocation assistance for certain roles for people joining us from overseas.